Year in Review
Welcome to the
2019 Baystate Health
We are excited to share highlights of our year as we work to support our mission while advancing care and enhancing lives.
While there are continued challenges in the economics of healthcare, Baystate Health continues to be recognized as a top performer by several national rating agencies. Baystate Health also maintained its position as the state’s low cost leader in both cost per discharge and total medical expense among large health systems in the state.
We are excited to share in this report a year’s worth of milestones and achievements in caring for the people in our community. You’ll see examples of how we are enhancing access to health in our communities with a new Imaging Center at Baystate Mary Lane Outpatient Center in Ware and the mobile health clinic to provide life-saving screenings and preventive care to under-served rural and urban communities. You’ll learn about enhancements in clinical care with a procedure to minimize the side effects of prostate cancer radiation therapy and efforts which have reduced catheter-associated urinary tract infections. You’ll find out about our age-friendly approach to caring for elders, national grant funding in medical research, innovative medical education for our future doctors and care providers, how Baystate Health provides community benefits to those in need, and so much more.
We invite you to explore our Annual Report through its chapters:
- Highlights: from the year in quality, safety, experience, academic innovation, best place to work, and community connections.
- Our Impact: a breakdown of the numbers on how the care we provide plays an essential role in the health of the people in our region in 2019.
- Awards: national recognitions for the quality of Baystate Health’s programs and services.
- Patient Stories: moving stories from our patients on how Baystate enhanced their lives this past year.
- Financials: a letter from our CFO and Baystate Health’s financial statements, graphs, and auditor’s report.
- About Us: More about our leadership and Baystate Health entities.
The Baystate Health 2019 Annual Report includes more details about all the ways we have been advancing care and enhancing lives. We continue to dedicate ourselves to our mission to improve the health of the people in our communities every day, with quality and compassion. Thank you for your continued support and interest in our health system.
Mark A. Keroack, MD, MPH
Chief Executive Officer,
Board of Trustees